Friday Flash, January 18, 2019
NEWS FROM YOUR STATE OFFICE
Announcing the results of the New Jersey SkillsUSA 2019 Membership Challenge
In order to build our statewide membership, we kicked off the 2019 Membership Challenge on November 1, with special incentives for the chapters that experienced the largest growth. We are pleased to announce that the following chapters are the winners:
Southern Region - Cumberland County Regional Technical Education Center
Central Region - Mercer County Vo-Tech Schools
Northern Region - Hudson County School of Technology-Jersey City
Each chapter will receive a $500 credit at the SkillsUSA Store. Congratulations!
Why are some pages of our website listed as UTAH SkillsUSA?
Our system is a clone of a system originally developed for Utah SkillsUSA. A clitch in programming continues to list some pages as Utah.
What is a NJ State Only Contest?
NJ SkillsUSA conducts events that do not have a national component. These contests are in the CONTESTS tab of our website and listed as STATE ONLY CONTESTS. Refer to those contest descriptions and check to see if there are any CONTEST UPDATES for this year’s event.
How do I find contest information for the national contests we conduct in NJ?
The NJ SkillsUSA Championship contests that have a national component are based on the national technical standards. Advisors and Instructors should start with the national contest standards. The contest standards are a free benefit with your professional membership.
Any specific information on how NJ will implement those contest standards at our state event will appear as a CONTEST UPDATE. Updates can be found at www.nj-skillsusa.org Go to the CONTESTS tab and find CONTEST UPDATES.
How often are Contest Updates posted on the state website?
Updates are posted as they are received from contest coordinators. They are listed with the date that they are posted. Please check often and encourage your instructors to check the updates tab as well.
NEWS FROM OUR NATIONAL OFFICE
Here’s some ideas for Celebrating SkillsUSA Week
• Monday, Feb. 4, is Appreciation Day. Plan an event to celebrate and honor the support of advisors, teachers and administrators.
• Tuesday, Feb. 5, is Advocacy Day. Plan local or state public relations activities including presentations to legislators, school board members, administrators and community group leaders.
• Wednesday, Feb. 6, is Member Outreach Day. Involve members in the recruitment of middle and elementary school students into your CTE programs, or plan appreciation activities that honor current members.
• Thursday, Feb. 7, is SkillsUSA Serves Day. Rally around your community by focusing on a day of giving through service projects or fundraisers.
• Friday, Feb. 8, is SkillsUSA Day. Celebrate SkillsUSA by wearing your favorite SkillsUSA shirt, planning a celebration and posting the event to social media.
Chapter Excellence Program is Waiting for You! Get Started Now!
You know you are having a great year in SkillsUSA, so why not be recognized for it? Did you elect officers, hold chapter meetings and engage in chapter activities? Then take it to the next level: Complete the Chapter Excellence Program Quality Chapter application and receive the recognition you have earned as a chapter.
Start your SkillsUSA Chapter Excellence Program (CEP) application today and earn recognition for your chapter. The online application is on the main page of the membership registration site once you log into your school account (www.skillsusa-register.org/Login.aspx).
Need help completing your application? Call our office: 908 526-8900 X7249