SkillsUSA Friday Flash, January 21, 2022
NEWS FROM YOUR STATE OFFICE
· Advisor Meeting In-Person, February 02, 2022
10AM to 12PM
Somerset Co. Vocational-Technical HS
14 Vogt Drive, Bridgewater, NJ 08807
*Please RSVP in attending In-Person by Wed. Jan. 26
· Advisor Meeting Virtual: Feb. 02, 2022, 2 PM
Via Zoom (a meeting link will be made available)
· Culinary & Baking Instructors 2022 Championship Contests Review
The annual meeting for culinary and baking instructors to review the current year’s contest guidelines will be held virtually via Google Meets on January 28, from 10 to 12. The contest coordinators for MRE, Wedding Cake Decorating, Commercial Baking, Commercial Bakers Aide, Culinary Arts and Food Service will review the contest details and answer questions. The meeting link is provided below. Copy the link and paste into your browser.
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10am – 12pm Eastern Time - New York
Join with Google Meet
· State Championships Registration
Early bird discount rate of $90 per participant ends Feb. 02.
Registration deadline extends to Feb. 09 at $95 per participant
· State Championship Contest Info
Keep checking the website for Contest details. Go to www.nj-skillsusa.org
Click on CONTESTS, then CONTEST UPDATES
Details are listed for over 30 of our state events.
NATIONAL OFFICE NEWS ITEMS
Accessing the 2022 SkillsUSA Championships Technical Standards
The 2022 National Leadership and Skills Conference takes place in Atlanta on June 20-24, and the SkillsUSA Championships Technical Standards will help your students prepare for their competitions. To access the Technical Standards, navigate to SkillsUSA Absorb, log in using your professional membership credentials, click on the green box that says, “Professional Member Benefits,” and then on the “2021-2022 Professional Member Benefits Package.” This gives you access to the Technical Standards which are broken into the Introduction Materials; Leadership Development Career Competitions; Occupationally Related Career Competitions and the Skilled and Technical Sciences Career Competitions.
If you have trouble accessing the Technical Standards, call the SkillsUSA Customer Care Team toll free at 844-875-4557. Phones are open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. ET Monday, Wednesday and Friday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. ET Tuesday and Thursday. You can also email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarship Opportunities for SkillsUSA Students
Advisors don’t let these scholarship opportunities go by without passing the info on to your students:
· SkillsUSA in partnership with the National Technical Honor Society (NTHS) will award four $1,000 scholarships to SkillsUSA members who are also members of NTHS. The deadline for applications is March 31 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
· The Student Research Foundation Scholarship is open to SkillsUSA members who are currently enrolled in high school and plan to continue their education in a postsecondary institution or program. It recognizes outstanding community contributions. The deadline for applications is July 26.